October 6, 2010
Dear Friends of CKRH,
Today was an exciting day at Central Kentucky Riding for Hope as we had a press conference at our facility, The John A. and Virginia Creech Therapeutic Riding Center. The First Lady for the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Jane Beshear, announced the pilot program and funding for our new “Horses for Heroes” initiative and officially awarded us the $500,000 Community Development Block Grant to help us finish off our education and therapy wing. The “Horses for Heroes” program is a new initiative aimed at serving the needs of military veterans who can benefit physically, emotionally and psychologically from our services.
We had several other special guests, including:
- Kay Green, CEO of NARHA which is the international voice of the equine-assisted activities and therapies industry. The organization provides standards for safe and enabling equine interaction. CKRH is a premier accredited facility, meaning it has reached the highest level of accreditation offered by NARHA.
- John Nicholson, Executive Director of the Kentucky Horse Park, who has been so supportive of the CKRH program.
- Amy Scarborough, Executive Director with AT&T Kentucky, who is providing funding for our “Horses for Heroes” pilot program.
- Elizabeth Shatner who is an accomplished equestrian herself and who has been passionately promoting our new initiative and developing funding mechanisms for us to build our program.
- Jim Wolf, Executive Director for Sports Programs at the United States Equestrian Federation, who is very interested in exploring opportunities to work with CKRH.
Most of the CKRH Board of Directors were in attendance, and the staff and volunteers had the facility looking absolutely fabulous. We had quite a few media reps and reporters at the press conference. I know you can look for us tonight on Channel 18 in Lexington and expect to see several news stories in tomorrow’s papers. Here are a few links to stories that have already appeared on the web.
Also, if you have not already seen it, follow the below link to see what the “Horses for Heroes” program is all about.
Thanks go out to Pat Kline, our Executive Director, and all the staff and volunteers at CKRH who made this day possible.
Walter E. Palmer
President, Board of Directors – Central Kentucky Riding for Hope